Wednesday

Decades of Vintage Inspiration: Styling Ideas Part 1

The Highs and Woes of Pinterest.

Downton Abbey and the Edwardian Age

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage typewriter, props and china top two across)

The Highs of Pinterest: I love Pinterest, it's such a wonderful tool for finding inspiration for all your weddings, parties and celebrations. It also allows me to keep all the wonderful photos that Jonathan Bean Photography and other kind photographers have taken of my work, and to put them in boards which are easy to find and inspire you. I can also pin images into boards with my own vintage theme which I can draw on at ease.

During the course of helping you to plan your wedding or parties, I can also create a private pinterest board into which we both share ideas. It's always a starting point for discussions and to build a shared aesthetic of your day. I get to know you a little better from the images you share and it's easy for those of you who feel you don't have any creativity. In my experience everyone can be creative if given the right starting point and it's fun!

I've created the period collages here from some of my favourite images on my pinterest boards. Love vintage but not sure where to start? Perhaps one of these period collages speaks best to you. With styling inspired from the turn of the century right through to the Eighties, weddings by Itsy Bitsy Vintage can be as glamourous as Downton Abbey or as fun as the disco filled Seventies and Eighties. Each of the collages include photos of my own work, I wonder if you can spot them?

The Roaring Twenties

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: underwood typewriter top right corner)

The Woes of Pinterest: getting started on your own visual quest can be a bit tricky however since you're bombarded with thousands of images representing both budget and blow out celebrations. Surrounded by so much pretty and an abundance of creative ideas, especially from styled shoots, it's easy to think that you need to have all the details. Yes, details matter, it's what I do, but stylists cannot always replicate the looks you see unless you have a budget to match.

Most of my styling happens within the logistical constraints of a venue, so usually I have between two and three hours to set up, sometimes working on my own and sometimes working with helpers. The gorgeous top tables you see on Pinterest have been styled for a photoshoot and have probably taken two hours alone of a stylists time, working with florists and caterers, let alone the time it takes to style an entire room! I try and choose images which are achievable rather than aspirational, and which can be adapted to different budget constraints. I will discuss themes and styling dictated by the venue and location of your choice in my next post.

Glamourous Art Deco c.1926 - 1934.

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: top table styling,
top left corner)

1930's romance and the Golden Age of Hollywood.

( guest table styling with sewing machine and vintage shoe centrepiece by Itsy Bitsy Vintage)

Homespun 1940's

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: tea settings and vintage crockery, top left and middle right)

 1950's Rockabilly

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: spotty china and props, top left: cream suitcase and styling, bottom right)

 1950's Prom

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage:pink rose teacup and floral teapot)

1960's Mod 

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: Retro camera and colourful binding centrepiece)

 1960's Mods and Northern Soul.

(Itsy Bitsy Vintage: yellow teapot and 'Jacky' top table china and styling)

  Retro Boho: the colourful 1970's


 Eighties glitter disco.





No comments: